Chocolate, peanut, whipped-cream cake
Call it a cake, cream pie or layered dessert, your friends and family will call it delicious. Easy enough for a family dinner or impressive on a holiday table, this recipe calls for coconut sugar in place of refined white sugar for a more complex flavour and a lower glycemic index (35 compared to 60), so it may not spike your blood sugar quite as high as table sugar.1
Ingredients (Serves 8)
1-1/4 cups salted peanuts
3 egg whites (save the yolks for the chocolate cream)
1-1/4 cups coconut sugar
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup coconut sugar
3 egg yolks
100 g/3.5 oz unsweetened or dark chocolate, chopped
1 cup whipping cream
1 tablespoon coconut sugar
Chopped peanuts and chocolate, to serve
Make the base.
1. Grease a 9-inch springform pan and preheat oven to 350F/180C.
2. Finely chop peanuts in the food processor. Mix egg whites and coconut sugar together, then fold in chopped peanuts.
3. Press mixture into the bottom of the pan and bake for 30 minutes. Remove and cool on a wire rack. When cool, unmold base and transfer to a serving platter.
Make the chocolate filling.
4. When base is cool, melt butter in a medium saucepan over low heat.
5. Stir in coconut sugar and egg yolks, and continue stirring until the mixture thickens. Remove pan from heat and stir in chopped chocolate until melted.
6. Pour the chocolate cream over the peanut base and refrigerate until chilled.
Add the topping and serve!
7. Beat cream and coconut sugar until soft peaks form.
8. Spoon onto cake and garnish with peanuts and chocolate just before serving.
Nutritional facts (per serving)2
Total carbohydrate 32.7 g
Sugars 26.5 g
Fibre 3.6 g
Total fat 27.5 g
Saturated fat 12.3 g
Protein 8.8 g
Cholesterol 93 mg
Sodium 75 mg
Guest article and photo by Hanne Storhaug Jensen. (photo at: https://levmeddiabetes.no/2016/06/kremkake-peanottbunn-sjokoladefyll-2/)
1The Globe and Mail. Coconut sugar: Is it healthier than white sugar, or just hype?. Available at: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/ask-a-health-exp... Accessed August 13, 2019.
2Verywell Fit. Nutrition analyzer. Available at: https://www.verywellfit.com/recipe-nutrition-analyzer-4157076. Accessed August 13, 2019.
Receive our newsletter
Filled with interesting and useful information related to diabetes.