Great reasons to get back on your bike
Going for a ride used to be so easy—you'd just grab your bike and your helmet and go. There's no reason it has to change. In fact, jumping on your bike again can be beneficial for your body and your mind. Here's why.
- It makes you more attractive. According to a British Heart Foundation survey, cyclists were seen smarter and cooler than other people1. (Frankly, after reading that, we're surprised you need the other reasons!)
- It's an excellent head-clearer. Thinking about the ride and what you see along the way can really help you take your stress down a notch.
- It gets you places. Physical activity can be its own reward, but riding a bike actually gets you somewhere—sometimes faster than if you drove. Why spend a half-hour in the car and another half-hour on a stationary bike? Combine them and you've won time for yourself.
- It's ideal for weight and blood sugar management. Any physical activity helps you burn off the extra glucose in your system and makes your cells more sensitive to the insulin in your body. That means the insulin can work more effectively. Plus, if you need to lose weight, it's an easy way to get moving2.
- You already know how. If you rode as a kid, chances are you can ride today. The old saying is true: "you never forget". Cycling is a low-impact activity, so it may be right for you even if you have some physical challenges. Before you set out, talk to your doctor to make sure you're not taking on too much2.
1Independent (2014). "Cyclists are more intelligent, charitable and cool than the average person" says study. Retrieved from: https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/cycling/cyclists-are-more-intelligent-charitable-and-cool-than-the-average-person-says-study-9051434.html. Accessed August 9 2021.
2Diabetes Canada (n.d). Physical activity and diabetes. Retrieved from: http://www.diabetes.ca/diabetes-and-you/healthy-living-resources/exercise/physical-activity-diabetes. Accessed August 9 2021.
Get 24/7 diabetes support
Join the Accu-Chek engageTM program and access many resources along with special offers